The Alexander Thomson Society was founded in 1991 by Dr Gavin Stamp to celebrate the life and work of one of Glasgow’s most influential nineteenth century architects.
Thomson (1817-1875) was a prolific architect designing numerous villas, terraces, tenements and commercial buildings as well as four churches all either in or around Glasgow.
A major public commission eluded him perhaps leading to the belated recognition of his genius.
The Society is dedicated to the protection, conservation and promotion of the architect’s surviving buildings by way of monitoring their present condition, holding an annual series of talks around Thomson‘s birthday on April 9th, lectures to other societies and academic institutions, publications and a number of guided walks throughout the city and its environs.
The Board meets once a month within premises in the centre of Glasgow and which holds the Society’s archive of Thomson material. The Society’s patron is the Earl of Glasgow.